Monday 25 August 2008

All in a Day's Walk: Part 3

Note to Readers: Please realize that this third post takes place the same day as the first 2.... and that's a condensed version. Every day is this busy. Also, because of limited internet, these are being posted sometimes more than a week after they happen.

Well, to quickly summarize, after the street performance we continued our walk to the castle, stopping in to see the inside of St. Giles Cathedral, covered with stained glass artwork spanning hundreds of years. By the time we made it to the base of the castle, 2 hours had passed, and Tara and Melissa didn't think they'd have enough time to tour the castle and meet up with another group. We split ways, and Kev and I bought tickets for the self-guided castle tour. My knee, which has started acting up with all the cold and hills, was absolutely killing me so I knew our tour might get cut short a little. Regardless, we saw most the exhibits, including this 4-ton cannon (large enough i could have climbed inside if there wasn't a sign telling me i couldn't).

At this point, we made a slightly stupid decision. Thinking it would work out, we decided to get dinner near the castle then hop on a bus back to our lodgings. Well, 45 mins later, we were all the way back and had not found a place to eat. (I'm really not sure how that happened--we may have just been too picky and cheap). And this leads me to the pub story. (Sorry, it won't be nearly as exciting or scandalous as you might think)

Three hours later. Seriously, it's getting late and i've walked miles and miles today with no food. MILES. Dead tired and not planning on going out, I get sucked into other people's plans regardless. (Yeah, I fold to peer pressure occasionally.) Our professor had recommended a play called "The Factory," which a group of students was going to see. So, assured by the group that we would have time to stop for dinner after buying the tickets at the venue but before seeing the show, I dragged my tired body back out into Edinburgh. We bought the tickets, found a pub where our group of 6 would all fit, and ordered food. Of course, we had failed to pay attention to the time. 10 minutes before the show and we didn't have our food. 5 minutes before and we still had no food. At this point, we were frantically calculating which was more important... the food or the show. (In Europe, once a show begins, it's very unlikely that you will be allowed in.) Well, 2 minutes before the show, they give us our food. And, wrapping it up in napkins (most European restaurants have no take out boxes), we sprinted one by one out of the pub--looking rather ridiculous I might add--and sprinted down the street, dodging people, phone booths, light poles, and the occasional car. Arriving at the theater, we had no time to eat, and I was forced to bury my food in my purse. All this to say, I ended up eating my dinner 6 hours after I first felt the pangs of hunger. Begrudgingly, I will say this however: the show experience was well worth the extra food trauma, miles of walking, and lack of sleep.

No comments: