Monday 25 August 2008

Creme Brulee: Always a good decision

Today (Sat, not monday) was a busy day. It included 3 hours of class, walking to lunch, walking to a 3 hr long show, walking to dinner, walking to the second show, and walking home. And while all of that included some fascinating stories and experiences...
Most notable was the creme brulee. After seeing a Festival theater performance with the entire group, we were told to go forage for food before our evening performance of the Budapest Symphony Orchestra. Have you ever tried to decide on a place to eat with a group of more than 4-6 people? Yeah, it's an absolute mess. Our group of probably 10 or more wandered for awhile, and then 4 of us broke off. It was really a matter of survival. I mean, there's only so much time for food between the two performances, and that time was being wasted.
Oh and yeah, I'm still in Edinburgh at this point.
We found an adorable French cafe, with small, white wrought iron tables on the sidewalk, and red and yellow striped awnings and cushions. Our friendly waitor, being rather intuitive or perhaps psychic, only brought 3 regular menus to our table, handed them out, and then handed the 4th menu to me--that 4th menu being the dessert menu. My eyes immediately jumped to the one item that every eye should ever jump to at a French cafe, and I decided in that split second that dinner really wasn't all that important. And that is why I ordered creme brulee for dinner. (Those of you cringing at the thought that I missed out on all those lovely nutrients that typical dinner food entails, fear not. I shared a dish with Sarah along with my dessert) It was by far my favorite meal since arriving in Europe... I highly recommend that everyone try it--order dessert instead of dinner. Your taste buds will thank you for it.

No comments: